Today I was on the skytrain earlier than I would usually like to be on my day off but it was for a good reason – brunch! Cafe Medina is a hipster hot spot in Vancouver, particularly popular for their breakfast (or in many people’s case brunch) menu located a minute from the Stadium-Chinatown station on Beatty street. I have heard there are long waits on the weekends but since it was a Tuesday morning we were seated right away.
A few of my friends wanted to get their waffles but since I let them know that we can get them in Richmond instead we all opted for other things.
What we ate (and drank!)
White Chocolate Pistachio Rosewater Mocha
Milk Chocolate Lavender Mocha
- None of these drinks come very sweet, if at all
- My favourite was the Lavender Mocha because of the sweetness given from the milk chocolate and the pleasant taste of lavender that goes really well with the chocolate
- 2 fried eggs, braised short ribs, roasted potatoes, balsamic onions, watercress, applewood smoked cheddar
- The short ribs were extremely tender and the flavour of the balsamic mixed with the egg yolks made this dish extremely satisfying for brunch
- Would have benefited from a few more potatoes and a more even distribution of cheese
- 1 baked egg, curried orzo, chorizo, zucchini, red pepper, roasted corn, grano padano (hard aged Italian cheese, similar to parmigiano), watercress, avocado, and tomato
- I didn’t taste much of this but I found some of the ingredients got mixed in and the flavours lost, and the egg was just fried!
- But my friend that ordered it really enjoyed it and found it to be a very filling dish
- Open faced ciabatta sandwich, fried egg (we subbed for a poached egg), smoked salmon caper cream cheese, avocado, arugala, peppadew, and artichoke
- I can’t say much about the taste of this one but my friend loved it
- I wasn’t big on the presentation of this dish, it was one of the first things I commented on as we got the food
- Easily accessible by transit
- Very good brunch option in Gastown
- If you can wait get the waffles at Damien’s and try and entree instead!