Jethro’s was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives a while ago and I’ve been wanting to go ever since. I’m usually turned off by the very long line ups that form (the restaurant is tiny) so my friends and I headed down early on a Tuesday morning to get a table. They have a strict policy about seating your entire party at one time so make sure you’re all there, otherwise you’ll be skipped!
What we ate
Crab Cake Benedict
- crab cakes topped with a poached egg and hollandaise
- they obviously like to make their portions huge!
- my friend found the combination of crab cake + egg + sauce to be too mushy. She said she would have preferred there to still be some sort of bread to provide more texture
- corn cakes topped with chili, poached eggs, and hollandaise
- the smallest (most reasonable) portion of the morning! And the only dish that was finished
- The chili and corn cakes were fantastic
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread French Toast
- Very sweet and heavy for a breakfast
- I loved the carmalized bananas that it came with
- I prefer my french toast more moist (but I like it almost soggy on the inside..)
Strawberries & Cream
- These were GIGANTIC!
- But delicious. There were strawberries baked into the pancakes and fresh ones on top
The Gold Rush
- banana pancakes stuff with caramel, pecans, and streusel
- really sweet (yet I couldn’t help but add more syrup) but not overly so
- GIGANTIC! First time in a long time I’ve taken left overs home. Here’s a picture of what was left (and I ate probably double what my friend did to her pancakes)
Despite falling into a 4 hour food coma after I got home from all that pancake, I will definitely be returning! The restaurant is full of fun little details (on the menus, on the walls, in what you can see of the kitchen) that make it a very welcoming environment. It is more accessible to UBC than I expected so it might become one of my new brunch spots, but I also really want to try their lunch menu (pulled pork and po-boys!). Make sure you come very, very hungry